Here’s a make from a few weeks ago which we only managed to photograph properly today – my Brigitte Top. I’m trying hard to do justice to what I’ve been sewing for myself by waiting until John can take photos…………it does mean quite a delay sometimes and I hate to feel that I’m not keeping up with documentation but I’m coming to the conclusion that it doesn’t really help to share a make if you can’t see what it is really like. I’ll just have to get over my tendency to want to do things now this minute and learn to go with the flow a little more……any advice?!
So, here’s my Brigitte Top by Tessuti Fabrics. I went back to Girl Charlee for the fabric after my success with the lightweight teal blue and grey stripe which I used for my Plantain T-shirt. This time I chose some heavier weight black and heather grey stripe. It is very soft and snuggly and the extra weight feels perfect for this time of year, but what really sold it to me is that it is double sided. The plain black sleeves are the reverse of the same fabric.
The pattern is straightforward and I like the shape. I made my standard size without any adjustments apart from lengthening the sleeves. Next time I will lengthen the body as well and add more to the sleeve length.
I learnt a very valuable lesson in making this top, something which I really should have known but didn’t think about properly in my rush to get sewing. I chose to do the topstitching in a beautiful silvery grey thread which I had out already from a qulting project – I thought the double line of stitching on the neckline (plus the sleeves and hem) would look lovely in this pretty thread. I ignored the fact that the thread was 100% cotton. That was not a clever thing to ignore. As soon as I tried it on the stitching started breaking. After one wear I had breaks in the neckline, hem and one sleeve. Throroughly fed-up, and really annoyed with myself, it took me quite a while to fathom up the enthusiasm to unpick all those seams and sew them again in polyster thread (black this time)………..and in fact I have left the hem and sleeves unsewn. It helps with their length, I like the look and it made me feel slightly better not to have to sew them again too! I’ve included before and after photos below as illustration of my idiocy – I’d be delighted if it saves anyone else from making my mistake!
Pattern:: Brigitte Top modified to lengthen the sleeves 9around 2 cm, but I need at least 5 cm more for my perfect length)
Fabric:: Knit jersey from Girl Charlee, a double sided medium weight with good stretch – very soft and thoroughly recommended
Size:: 12, my normal size based on the pattern measurements
Sewing:: I didn’t use a twin needle for the neckline but carefully stitched two parallel lines to give that effect. I didn’t hem the bottom or sleeves….I like the unfinished look this gives, and it saved yet more re-sewing……..but not the unpicking
I haven’t forgotten my giveaway – thank you for all the entries. I’ll be back to announce the winner shortly.