For the first time ever I’m on time, with something to show, for Lynne’s Fresh Sewing Day. Yay. I have been working on this commissioned quilt for the few weeks. My initial brief was for a quilt in reds and pinks, with blocks of colours and the little girl’s name on the back.
What was special about making this quilt is that it is for, Electra, who I made a baby quilt for a couple of years ago. I find one of the fun, and challenging, aspects of commissions is working with fabrics and combinations that I might not have picked if left entirely to my own devices……it is so satisfying having a happy customer and making a quilt that will hopefully give many many happy years of snuggle time.
The design is a disappearing nine patch – I have wanted to try it for a while and I think it is as effective as I had hoped. Each square started at 11 inches to give the big block effect we were going for. The back is Robert Kaufman Wide Spot On matched with Kokka Trefle monkeys – I had used the monkeys in Electra’s baby quilt so we were delighted when I was able to find some more on Etsy for this quilt too.
Hopefully Electra will enjoy moving into her big girl bed with her Raspberries and Strawberries* quilt to keep her warm and cosy.
– 45 inches (115cm) by 73 inches (185cm)
– wadding is Quilters Dream Natural Request cotton
– quilted in slightly wavy lines, randomly spaced
– bound in pink, blush pink, and crimson Klona solids (I couldn’t decide which to use!) and hand sewn on the back
* Name suggested by Sheila (bluepatchquilter) – thanks Sheila!