If you remember this post you’ll remember that I had a list of things I wanted to make by the end of March. Well, I have managed most of them. Unfortunately I had to give up on the quilt in favour of finishing other things….hopefully I’ll be able to work on it again later this year.
I’m afraid I got rather carried away taking photos of Katie and her hat – and showed no discipline in deciding which to upload into this post. Well, some discipline, as I took even more. My only excuse is that I think both are very cute. Having a baby model on hand is so much fun and very useful – a gorgeous chubby assistant with me 24 hours per day. I nearly wrote glamorous assistant but I think that would be stretching even maternal blindness!
I also wanted to make her a dress for the wedding (to match the hat above and the bloomers I blogged about here). The dress proved far more troublesome than I anticipated. Firstly, I could only just squeeze Katie into the 6 to 12 month size. Now I do realise she isn’t the slenderest of babies but she isn’t the biggest either and she’s not even 7 months yet. Luckily I became suspicious quite early on and checked the bodice on her before going further.
So I had to start again and make age 1-2. I was seriously annoyed as I found the sleeves were a real faff to sew and I only just had enough fabric to make a bodice in the next size up. Anyhow I worked out I could unpick the sleeves and reuse them (but I still had to do the fiddly bit of sewing them into the new bodice – boo hiss) and I just had to line it in a plain fabric.
I had also already cut the skirt to the 6 to 12 month size and had nothing like enough fabric for a new skirt in the bigger size (which would be way too long anyway). The skirt should have lots of pleats and I probably could have resized them (smaller) to fit round the bigger bodice but that would have required some painful mental maths……so I just gathered it and think it looks okay. I think the cute little cap sleeves have suffered from all the unpicking and man-handling they have received. Never mind, I don’t suppose Katie will care.
But all in all it was a fairly frustrating experience from beginning to end. I think the pattern and dress design itself is pretty good. The instructions weren’t that clear but were fine with a bit of time and concentration. It is the Wonderland Dress by Make it Perfect.
I had a sudden urge, not sure why, to make Islay a papoose for her dolls. I think it may have been because I had been thinking about what toys she could take away with us, how to transport them and how to minimise luggage.
I remembered seeing a papoose in Growing Up Sew Liberated. I do love this book. It’s the third pattern I have used from it (the others being sleep gowns and baby bubble pants) and there’s more that I plan to use.
The papoose came together really well. Or really well if I discount the bits where I didn’t concentrate and follow the instructions. I had a fair bit of unpicking but that was entirely my own fault and because I was rushing things.
Islay loves it and so does Lola and Bun Bun. And she has a book in the front pocket too.
And this is what Katie thought of me taking photos of Islay instead of her – ‘lets see if I can work out how to escape’. She is spending a worrying amount of time on her tummy……..I really don’t want her to learn to move (I guess it is inevitable but I’d like to delay it as long as possible!).