Last night I started looking out fabric to make a draught excluder for V’s mum. Apparently she has a duck-egg blue sofa and a brown leather one and the rest of the room is fairly neutral. I was quite surprised to find how many fabrics I have that fit within that colour scheme – and in fact I really love some of them, despite the fact that I also love using bright colours these more muted ones are just so pretty.
Anyway I got a bit carried away since I was having so much fun picking and mixing fabrics and patterns and ended up making the whole thing. And now realise that less is definitely more. Just because its, more or less (see last post), possible to make a chicken into a draught excluder it doesn’t actually mean its a good idea!
I’m so much happier with this one. Altho’ for one heart leaping moment I thought I’d got the length wrong again. I laid it against the dining room door to photograph (the carpet is more presentable there) and its too short. But, thankgoodness, it fits the sitting room door and most of the others in the house. It seems that the chicken was the right length after all – its just some of my doors are wider than others, and some narrower too, this really is an odd house. I blame it on old age since it was built around 1750.
Anyway I’m going to give myself a bit of a talking to and try and haul in some of my stranger ideas and try to be a bit more mainstream and simple from now on.